TBE precipitation

Joan Marie Shields jshields at rigel.oac.uci.edu
Thu Aug 12 13:06:58 EST 1999

Colin Rasmussen <colin at pombe.usask.ca> wrote:
>I think the borate has a tendency to ppt. with time.  We found in the
>past that autoclaving it helps for some reason.  Alternatively, make 5 x
>TBE.  That always solves the problem.  We typically run our gels in 0.5
>x TBE so you won't wind up making any more than you are now.

I was having trouble with it precipitating as well - autoclaving seems to
have solved that problem.

I will say regarding the 0.5x - I typically run fairly high percentage
agarose gels (2-4%) and I've found that if I use 0.5x TBE that my bands
aren't nearly as sharp.  I've gone back to using 1x TBE and have had much
better results.

joan
--
Joan Shields       jshields at uci.edu       http://www.ags.uci.edu/~jshields
University of California - Irvine         School of Social Ecology