Problem with ECV304 cells ??

yj7107 at hotmail.com yj7107 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 14 05:55:55 EST 1999

In article <7ot4t9$qtc$1 at carroll.library.ucla.edu>,
  "Frank Pajonk" <fpajonk at ucla.edu> wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I am a researcher for new drug specially antiangiogenic.
> >
> > Dose anyone know the information about this cell line. I heard this
> >
> > has some problems but don't know what problems exactly.
>
> The problem is that it is not an endothelial cell line.
>
> I could not find it online at ATCC anymore. But you can still get the
> description at http://www.dsmz.de/dsmzfind.htm
>
> "...described a being spontaneously immortalized from the umbilical
cord
> vein of a new-born Japanese boy in 1984; cells were described to have
a high
> proliferative potential in the absence of any growth factors; however,
DNA
> fingerprinting at DSMZ showed clearly that this cell line is in
reality a
> derivative of human urinary bladder carcinoma cell line T-24..."
>
> Hope that helps
>
> Frank

Dear sir,

First of all, thanks for your advice.

As I know some groups are now using these cells for angiogenic studies
(e.g. Experimental Cell Research 225, 171-185, 1996)
and you can see it described as transformed human umbilical transformed
cells at http://biochem.boehringer.com/.
But I found it is not endothelial cells
at http://www.dsmz.de/dsmzfind.htm.
I don't know which is right.

I am a medicinal chemist searching antiangiogenic compounds. Now I am
using some in vitro models of angiogenesis using HUVEC, ECV304 and one
tumor cell line that has tube forming property. Among them HUVEC is most
difficult to handle, ECV304 is next, tumor cell line is easy to use.

I have scruples about using that tumor cell line because it is not an
endothelial cell line.

Thanks for your advice again !  ( :-)