Yeast Cell Opening Problem

Andreas Savelsbergh asavel at
Tue Aug 17 10:15:13 EST 1999

Hi Netters,

I'm trying to prepare something like S30 extract from normal
commercially available baker's yeast, but the yield is very low. The
problem seems to be with the method of cell opening. Until now, I used a
bead beater with glass beads.

I thought maybe grinding the cells in liquid nitrogen might be more
efficient, or maybe sonification. Does anybody have experiences with
these methods or suggestions for a method which is usable without fancy
machines such as french presses and other fine things. Please send
suggestions to asavel at

Thanks in advance,