High Titer Bacteriophage Production?

Dr. Duncan Clark Duncan at nospam.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 22 06:20:08 EST 1999

In article <7pm76l$h8g$1 at nntp1.uunet.ca>, GAP EnviroMicrobial Services
<enviromic at execulink.com> writes
>We are currently using MS2 bacteriophage in fairly large volumes, and are
>currently being limited to about 10^12 pfu/mL. Does anyone have any
>suggestions for increasing the titer? We would really prefer to get titers
>in the 10^20 range (if possible), as our experiments require A LOT of phage.

The titre is dependant on the burst size of the phage/host which is
fixed by the phage/host combination itself. With MS2 and E.coli B host
you will be doing well to get close to 10E12/ml i.e. 10E15/litre. To get
10E20 you will have to grow 100,000 litres. There is no way around this
as far as I know. Titres of 10E12/ml are high as phage titres go for
infected cells.

10E20 is a lot of phage. I haven't worked it out but it must be grams of
RNA. What are you doing with it?

sliced from time to time....

Duncan Clark
DNAmp Ltd.