URGENT! RAPD vs. AFLP among vampire bats

Anne Gillen ez049617 at mailbox.ucdavis.edu
Mon Aug 23 21:44:13 EST 1999

Hello,

I have had trouble repeating RAPD markers.  I would not rely on them for
fingerprinting.  I have tried to repeat markers developed in other labs
using the same cultivar and I have not been able to repeat them.  DNA
quality, thermal cycle parameters and brand of thermalcycler all affect
RAPDs. However, I have found that some bands are very repeatable within my
lab.

I have had trouble getting my AFLP digest-ligations to always work
so am switching to the kit in hopes of more consistent results. I cannot
say from experience, but it seems that AFLPs are much better than RAPDS
for repeatability.

    Anne M. Gillen                           E-mail: amgillen at ucdavis.edu
    Pomology Department                      Phone:  (530) 752-1462
    University of California at Davis