Staining IEF gels

Matt Thomas mthomas at hsc.usf.edu
Tue Aug 24 10:17:20 EST 1999

I've started having fun with IEF gels. So far I'm just trying to coomasie
them and I'm not exactly thrilled with the results (losts of smearing and
strange bands across the entire gel).  Does anyone have any tips?  Or should
I just move onto silver?  I'm starting to wonder if some of the ampholites
bind the coomasie and that is part of my problem.  Also, at this point I'm
just using markers and pure proteins to work out the system so I think it
isn't a problem with my samples.

Thanks for any suggestions

Matthew Thomas, Ph. D
H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center, University of South Florida
mthomas at hsc.usf.edu

"I refrain from publishing for fear that disputes and
controversies may be raised against me by ignoramuses."
   Sir Isaac Newton, correspondence to Liebniz