molbiol method book?

Nina Baltes nibaltes at stud.tiho-hannover.de
Sun Aug 29 11:25:12 EST 1999

Cornelius Krasel <krasel at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de> wrote:

>Nina Baltes <nibaltes at stud.tiho-hannover.de> wrote:
>> The concept of a PhD program is brandnew in Germany. My school (School
>> of Veterinary Medicine, Hannover) is the first to have introduced it.
>
>Could you please elaborate? It is not uncommon even for German scientists
>to get PhDs :-)

If you set PhD= Dr. or if you get a PhD abroad, yes :-)

But our "Promotion" is not the same as a PhD- Program.
For example, American veterinarians get their title of "Dr." upon
graduation from vet school, whereas the German Dr. med. vet requires a
thesis. So unfortunately, the German title of "Dr." is of practically
no value in the US because they don't know that it's a postgraduate
degree.
Which is why the vet. school in Hannover set up a PhD program that
requires a thesis, coursework, yearly talks and two exams, one after
18 months, one at the end of the three- year program.
The regulations for the PhD Program at theTiHo Hannover can be seen
here:
http://www.tiho-hannover.de/Studium/PHD.html
Unfortunately, there is no English version available yet.

Nina