molbiol method book?

Nina Baltes nibaltes at
Mon Aug 30 04:08:39 EST 1999

Chris Boyd wrote:
> I believe that PhDs were _first_ awarded in German universities before
> being adopted in other countries. See, for example,
>    In medieval universities the term "doctor" was introduced some time after
>    "master". "Master" and "doctor" were at first used synonymously, but in
>    time "master" came to be restricted to the teachers of liberal arts and
>    "doctor", as a distinction, to the teachers of theology and law, and
>    later of medicine.

But still, we get the title of "Dr." for our doctoral thesis, not "PhD".
You can be a physician or veterinarian without the title.
And since veterinarians in the US get the Dr. upon graduation, it is
usually not recognized that the Dr. is a postgraduate degree in Germany.
And as a Dr. med. vet., you are not allowed to call yourself PhD.

> However, I take Nina's point about the distinction between PhD
> programmes and traditional PhDs. Whether adopting US-style PhD
> programmes for the sake of furthering career prospects in the US is a
> good move for German science is moot.

Not just in the US (we hope). The usual "Dr." title does not involve
coursework and is usually completed in 1.5 to 2 years (in veterinary
Whether the PhD will bring the advantages that we hope for... we'll see.
Like I said, we're the first 20 guinea pigs :). And we have the option
of changing the title to a regular Dr. later on if it all doesn't work
out ;).

> Whatever happened to cultural
> diversity?

Progress :)
No seriously, in what way does the addition of a new graduate degree
endanger cultural diversity?
Especially when it aims at creating equal chances on the global
employment market?
And I do believe that, when planning a career, one should not expect to
stay in the same place for one's entire working life. You have to remain
flexible. Especially since the German science market is, well, difficult