choice for protein expression system

Cornelius Krasel krasel at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de
Tue Aug 31 08:36:49 EST 1999

Oliver Politz <politz at medizin.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> I am about to go for the expression and purification of new protein. So my
> "simple" question is which expression systems are the best choice for this.

There is no universal answer for your problem. If you need large amounts
of protein, you probably want to try the baculovirus system first. However,
glycosylation in baculovirus expression systems is different from that
in mammalian cells which may or may not be a problem for you. It also
takes somewhat longer to construct a baculovirus than a mammalian
expression vector, although newer kits have reduced this time somewhat.

--Cornelius.