Differences between Detergents

Cornelius Krasel krasel at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de
Mon Dec 13 07:30:01 EST 1999

Byung-Hoon Kim <byung-hoon.kim at uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
> could anybody tell me the functional difference bwtween Triton X-100,
> Tween20 and NP-40?

What do you mean with "functional difference"?

Examples for differences: Triton X-100 and NP-40 are both aromatic
detergents and therefore quite unusable if you want to measure UV
absorption of the solution. Tween-20 is not aromatic.
CMCs: NP-40: 0.05-0.3 mM
      Tx100: 0.2-0.9 mM
      Tw-20: 0.059 mM
(from the Calbiochem detergent brochure). CMCs are important if you want
to dialyse your solution or concentrate it via membrane filtration.

The detergent that you will finally use has probably to be found out by
trial and error - there is no generally accepted rule which detergent to
try, as far as I know.

--Cornelius.