PCR amplification of the FULL 16S rDNA bacterial gene

Dr. Duncan Clark Duncan at nospam.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 20 05:17:50 EST 1999

In article <385d4770.99730392 at news.pacbell.net>, rcaspi at ucsd.edu writes
>Is there a universal primer outside
>the gene (downstream the 3' end) that one could use to amplify the 3'
>end of the gene? I know that PE Applied Biosystems sells a kit that
>supposedly amplify the whole gene, so I suspect that there should be a
>conserved spot downstream.

Quickest way is to go to the 16S RNA data base, pull a load of
sequences, align them and design a conserved primer from that. Having
done that be careful you do not pick up the E.coli 16S sequence that
will be present albeit in low copies in your Taq polymerase.

Duncan
sliced from time to time....

Duncan Clark
DNAmp Ltd.