nuclear DNA content in diploid cells ?

Frank O. Fackelmayer Frank.Fackelmayer at uni-konstanz.de
Wed Dec 22 03:32:54 EST 1999

Carsten Hohoff wrote:

> Could anyone support me with a reference for the DNA content in diploid
> cells ?
>
> A colleague suggested 5 pg per cell, but e could not give a refernece.
>
> A quick MEDLINE check yielded the number '7 pg' (for liver cells, Ranek (1976)
> Acta Cytol) - what about other cell types ?
>
> Any hint is appreciated !
>
> Regards
>
> Carsten

Hi Carsten,
The numbers you got are quite ok. If you calculate it on your own, you get some
6.6pg per human cell. That number comes from :
3*10e9 (the size of the human genome in bp) * 2 (because diploid) * 660 (mw of
one bp) * 1.67*10-12pg ("weight of one dalton") = 6.6pg
no references needed here...

In real life, if you prepare genomic DNA from 1e7 cells, you get some 50-60ug.
That compares well with the calculated amount. So, as a rule of thumb,
calculating with 5pg per human cell is good. For cells of other origin, you can
calculate the amount easily if you know the genome size and ploidity.

Frank