Myotubes transfection protocol wanted

Frank O. Fackelmayer Frank.Fackelmayer at uni-konstanz.de
Wed Dec 22 12:46:25 EST 1999

Peter Ashby wrote:

> In article <199912221253.NAA13038 at intwww.zit.med.uni-tuebingen.de>,
> Wolfgang.Schechinger at med.uni-tuebingen.de ("Wolfgang Schechinger") wrote:
>
> > From:             "Wolfgang Schechinger"
> > <Wolfgang.Schechinger at intwww.zit.med.uni-tuebingen.de> To:
> >   methods at dl.ac.uk Date sent:        Wed, 22 Dec 1999 14:02:13 +0001
> > Subject:          myotubes - transfection method wanted Send reply to:
> >    wolfgang.schechinger at med.uni-tuebingen.de Priority:         normal
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Has anyone had success in transfecting human myotubes?
> > All input is welcome.
> >

> I don't fancy your chances with most transfection protocols since they
> usually require that the transfected cells are cycling and .....

Hi Peter,
I´ve never realized that transfection requires cycling cells (possibly almost
everyone uses cycling cells for her/his work).
Could you explain that a bit: What is affected (transfection efficiency, gene
expression...)?, what cell cycle phase is transfected best, etc.

and, most important question: WHY?

could you give references, own experiences, anything that makes us understand
whats going on?

Frank