Ideas? Genomic DNA - low yields

Shiao Wang Shiao.Wang at usm.edu
Tue Feb 2 02:07:21 EST 1999

> We are currently preparing genomic DNA from both freshwater and marine fish
> species via "Current Protocols in Molecular Biology." We are experiencing very
> low yields.

Is the problem low yield or degraded DNA? If the problem is strictly low
yield, you might try a different tissue, gill for example. If it's a
problem of degradation, you might try adding 5 mM EGTA to the digestion
buffer (assuming you are using proteinase K digestion).

Just out of curiosity, what are you using the genomic DNA for?

--
Shiao Y. Wang
Department of Biological Sciences