Human Endothelial cells

M. Johan Broekman mjbroek at mail.med.cornell.edu
Tue Feb 2 20:12:44 EST 1999

Dear Paula:

The original (I believe) description was in:  Jaffe, E.A., R.L. Nachman, C.G.
Becker, and C.R. Minick. 1973.  Culture of human endothelial cells derived from
umbilical veins.  Identification by morphologic and immunologic criteria.
J.Clin.Invest.  52:2745-2756.

Some of our more recent papers:
Broekman, M.J., A.M. Eiroa, and A.J. Marcus. 1991.  Inhibition of human
platelet reactivity by endothelium-derived relaxing factor from human umbilical
vein endothelial cells in suspension.  Blockade of aggregation and secretion by
an aspirin-insensitive mechanism.  Blood  78:1033-1040.

 Gayle, R.B., III, C.R. Maliszewski, S.D. Gimpel, M.A. Schoenborn, R.G.
Caspary, C. Richards, K. Brasel, V. Price, J.H.F. Drosopoulos, N. Islam, T.N.
Alyonycheva, M.J. Broekman, and A.J. Marcus. 1998.  Inhibition of platelet
function by recombinant soluble ecto-ADPase/CD39.  J.Clin.Invest.
101:1851-1859.

Marcus, A.J., M.J. Broekman, J.H.F. Drosopoulos, N. Islam, T.N. Alyonycheva,
L.B. Safier, K.A. Hajjar, D.N. Posnett, M.A. Schoenborn, K.A. Schooley, R.B.
Gayle, III, and C.R. Maliszewski. 1997.  The endothelial cell ecto-ADPase
responsible for inhibition of platelet function is CD39.  J.Clin.Invest.
99:1351-1360.

We use the method without any difficulties.  The trick is to get reasonably
fresh human umbilical cords (which are normally disposed off by delivery room
personnel).  After rinsing out the umbilical vein, a collagenase solution (Type
I, impurities - trypsin - desired!) is instilled, and the cord is incubated
5-15 min at 37°C.  The now suspended HUVEC are spun down after addition of
serum (FBS works for us), and resuspended in culture medium as described.  1
cord --> 1 T25 with ~10^6 EC after a few days.

Good luck!