96 well genomic DNA extraction - techniques?

carson at vision.net.au carson at vision.net.au
Sat Feb 6 07:43:25 EST 1999

I am looking to extract genomic DNA from broth cultured Gram negative
bacteria for PCR screening. The screening involves several hundred
cultures and if possible I would like to use some form of 96 well
plate format for the DNA extraction. The extraction process must
involve some form of DNA purification as the culture media contain
several PCR inhibiting compounds. Simple boiling doesn't work alas. Is
anyone aware of techniques that are not based on commercial kits? If
so, can you point me towards a published technique or reference?
Thanks
Jeremy Carson
Dept Primary Industry
Tasmania, Australia