Real-time chemiluminescence- why?

Fri Feb 12 10:25:12 EST 1999

Hi:

While conducting the search for an imaging system for our institute, I had
numerous sales reps tell me the "wonders" of their particular machines and
always made the point about being able to perform "real time
chemiluminescence" imaging.   Basically, performing the actual development
of the blot while at the same time obtaining the image.  I was "slathered"
with all the gory details about the chips used in the CCD camera and why
company X's was better than company Y's in performing long duration imaging.

More importantly, when I asked those in our institute about "real time
measurement" that perform chemiluminescent assays, I was greeting with
bizzare looks, and the ever present question of "Why would I want to do it
that way?"...  They prefered just to use  film and get a computer image of
that instead.   To some extent this is all moot, since with the system we
did buy, we can now use a chemiluminescent imaging screen.

But I'm still curious, why do real time imgaging?  From what I've been
told, it takes an enormous time (tens of minutes or more) to perform, ties
up the machine, and makes little sense at the moment.

Anyone care to enlighten me?
David

 David L. Haviland, Ph.D.
 Asst. Prof. Immunology