Colony PCR or "purified DNA-PCR"

Gerd gerdn at ibg.uit.no
Fri Feb 19 07:33:27 EST 1999

Hey,
I have at several occations had problems getting amplification using
standard procedure for PCR with purified Bacterial DNA as template,  but
have gotten the desired product by using the same procedure, except for
DNA template I have just thrown in a colony of my bacterium and
increased the initial denaturation temp to 97 C.
I have been thinking that the problem was the  quality of my DNA prep.,
until last time: I got an expected small fragment (500 bp), but the
reactions were I expected larger fragment (1200 or 1600 bp) no fragment
occured, until I tried the colony-PCR approach.
Anybody having an idea of an explanation?

Gerd