capillary PCR

jeremy murray bmbjmm at bmb.leeds.ac.uk
Sun Feb 21 16:36:10 EST 1999

Hi Jennifer
I have used the Idaho Technology ATC (automatic thermal cycler)
throughout my Ph.D..
It's true there is a learning curve but
but it doesn't take long to master and after this
the time it saves is phenomenal.

I have used it for screening putative clones,
checking insert orientation,
checking annealing temperatures of primers,
generating domain deletion mutants using the megaprimer method.
The real beauty of it comes when a PCR is proving difficult.
You can do Mg2+  titrations and vary the annealing temp.
to find the optimal reaction conditions in a single day.
The next day you can start cloning.
 in other words go for it!!!
I am a big !*fan*! ;-)
jez