One suggestion

Robert Hartley rh at mblab.gla.ac.uk
Mon Feb 22 08:14:18 EST 1999

In article <bpmurray*STUFFER*-2202990335510001 at macmac-2.ucsf.edu>,
bpmurray*STUFFER*@socrates.ucsf.edu (Bernard P. Murray, PhD) wrote:

> In article <3.0.32.19990222152117.00685608 at www.kali.com.cn>,
> wenfeng.chen at WWW.KALI.COM.CN (Wen-Feng Chen) wrote:
>
> > Dear Netters,
SNIP
>>Some guys raise their question with some
> > abbreviation words I have never met elsewhere and the answer can not
> > give me any hint either. I have to skip the discussion. I think this
> > is also the problem of most others, isn't it?
> > Would you, when raising your question, please give the full words when
> > you think the abbreviation is strange for most others? Thank you!
> > Sincerely,
> > Wen-Feng
I agree. :-)
> I agree that molecular biology is sinking under a mass
> of (usually unneeded) abbereviations and acronyms.
SNIP=Abreviations-handy and reduces typing.

One problem is the lack of decent mail interfaces.

On the mac I use for mail I use the old newswatcher; however on my Acorn
twin processor RiscPC (I prefer this to any Windozzzze machine) the mail
programme comes with a confugurable dictionary with anacronym link. IE.
type DNA, RNA, PCR and you get the full name alternativly use shift>DNA
and you get DNA.Or; Drag a text document into the window (yes a full drag
and drop OS) (sorry operating system) and anacronym/phrase swapovers are
underscored. then you can decide by a simple keypress wich one is to be
included. :-)))))
I dont know a lot about Unix (I use RiscOS 3.6) but I think Emacs or Vi
should do this also. :-)

My contribution to the thread is really comp.sys.platform stuff and I hope
I haven't started an Emacs-Vi flame; but Wen-Feng has a valid point. we
don't always read the group to post or answer. I find it helpfull with
things that I never considered a problem. :-)

Cheers

Bob

--
Robert Hartley BSc.