Mutation rate vs. site-directed mutagenesis

Bernard P. Murray, PhD bpmurray*STUFFER* at
Tue Feb 23 18:53:23 EST 1999

In article <7auk39$a5c$1 at>, "°­º´Çå"
<heony at> wrote:

> I usually involved in the site-directed mutagenesis.
> And whenever I make mutation with my important gene,
> I always worry about unwanted mutations in some other place.....

[description of Kunkel mutagenesis snipped]

> Can this wobble base pairing make unwanted mutations????
> If it can be possible.... how  is the mutation rate ???
> Thanks in advance..!!
> B.H.Kang

I can't give you a figure for the mutation rate but
colleagues here have found some constructs where
the primer has bound in the wrong place or several
copies have been inserted in tandem.  Clearly such
instances can be reduced by good primer design but
it is well worth sequencing DNA mutagenised by
any method.  You can't just rely on restriction
     Good luck,
Bernard P. Murray, PhD