DNA Quality and Transfections - does it really make a difference?

Wendy Ingram w.ingram at cmcb.uq.edu.au
Wed Feb 24 18:23:38 EST 1999

I recently had a discussion with a colleague who said that in their lab
all the plasmid maxipreps used for mammalian cell transfections were
further purified with cesium chloride prior to use. In our lab we have
just been using plasmid straight out of Geomed Jetstar maxi kits (or
occassionally nucleobond kits) for our transfections.

What I am keen to hear opinons on is whether additional purification steps
are actually worth the added effort? Do transfection efficiencies increase
significantly over DNA straight out of commercial maxi kits???  If
purification really helps then what is the best way to do it?

thanks,
          Wendy Ingram.

--
Wendy Ingram (PhD Student)
Centre for Molecular and Cellular Biology