Clumping of E.coli after electroporation

Sidney Cambridge sidney at neuro.mpg.de
Wed Feb 24 12:55:24 EST 1999

Hi, all,

I just made a new batch of electrocompetent E. coli (DH5alpha) and
strangely enough, they form clumps after standard electroporation. I
should say that I use smaller aliquots of bacteria than recommended
(50ul instead of 100ul) but that has worked before and I don't see what
happened this time. My naive guess is that too many cells leaked their
genomic DNA to which some of the intact cells adhere leading to those
clumps. But even if this correct, I wouldn't know what to do about it.
Could anybody help me ? Your input is much appreciated.
Thanks.
sid