Chaotropic Agent?

Louis Hom lhom at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Feb 25 22:31:47 EST 1999

In article <36D5CE5D.915AA102 at sph.unc.edu>,
John Scott Meschke  <jmeschke at sph.unc.edu> wrote:

>Would ammonium sulfate be considered a chaotrope?  If so weak or
>strong?  Does anyone know of a good reference on chaotropic agents?  Any
>help would be greatly appreciated.

	Actually, ammonium sulfate would probably best be described as a
counter-example to chaotropic agents;  it has a stabilizing effect on
proteins (which is one reason why it's popular as a precipitant in
purification schemes).  I've forgotten the name of the series, but someone
arranged various compounds into stabilizing compounds (e.g., ammonium
sulfate) at one end and denaturants (e.g., urea, guanidium) at the
other end.  I also, unfortunately, can't remember where I saw it.
Lou Hom >K'93
lhom at ocf.berkeley.edu
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~lhom/