desalting DNA

C.S. Wilding BGYCSW at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Jun 1 04:54:51 EST 1999

Hi,
I know there has been a bit about this already but...
I don't think 2X 70% etoh washes are satisfactoraly washing my DNA
extractions and am looking for alternatives. Are there any kits that allow
either dialysis in a convenient format (easy to get the small vols back
from whatever dialysis is performed in), or some kind of column. Cost is
an issue due to the high number of samples.
As for the washes, if you precipitate your DNA with 2 vols etoh you have
67% etoh. Why then would washing with 70% remove any salt that had
precipitated. I would have thought that something less concentrated is
necessary, although I can see that this is not possible unless you want to
redissolve the DNA.
Craig