Phage contaminatio

Marcus Wernitz viacx at
Wed Jun 2 02:58:03 EST 1999

I have got a problem with my cosmid containing Ecoli.
All clones seem to be cataminated with phages. In my overnight cultures
all the cells seem to be lysed.
When I try to make a plasmid prep I only get smallest amount of DNA.
To get rid of the phages I streaked the cells on a new LBamp plate to
get single colonies, but they still lyse in ON-cultures.
Has anybody got a similar proble and got a solution to it?

Thank you in advance,

Marcus Wernitz

Marcus Wernitz
Martin-Luther-Universitaet Halle-Wittenberg
Landwirtschaftliche Fakultaet
Institut fuer Pflanzenzuechtung und Pflanzenschutz
Lehrstuhl fuer Phytopathologie und Pflanzenschutz
Ludwig-Wucherer-Str. 2
06108 Halle a.d.Saale

Tel.: +49 (0)345-5522666 Fax : +49 (0)345-5527120
E-Mail: Wernitz at

06114 Halle a.d.Saale
Tel.: +49 (0)345-2906800
Fax : +01 (0)708-8108200