Basic Subcloning Question

Nicolas Lemee Lemee at
Fri Jun 4 10:03:45 EST 1999

I totally agree on the lab technique here regarding CIP (I don't know about 'farting
around' all day...). Ratios (and quality: always geneclean and/or etoh ppt before you
ligate) of insert/vector during ligation is a better way to go at it. I usually
guestimate the ligation at 1 vector:3insert overnight at room temp, zap and plate DH5a
from gibco in the evening next day (expensive but you get your clone every time, I
always wonder at people making their crappy home grown comp. cells and then using
qiagen columns to miniprep the plasmids out) . I then miniprep 8 to 18 colonies
(depending on how good  looking the plates are). The boiling minpreps take less than
1h15 total time, 1 hour digest , 45 minutes gel run: in one morning you got your
answer, works every time !