AFLP bands

Raja Kota rkota at scu.edu.au
Tue Jun 8 01:36:32 EST 1999

Hi Netters,

I have been cloning some AFLP bands from polyacrylamide gel.  Once I
excise the band from the gel, I resuspend it in sterile water (50µl) o/n
at 37C.  Following this I use part of this as my template and re-amplify
the fragment.  However, every time I re-amplify the fragment, I do not get
the expected size.  Intrestingly all the bands are approximately half the
size of the original band.  For instance, if I had excised a 500 bp
fragment, I seem to re-amplify a 250 bp fragment.  I am bewildered by this
observation and am looking at some way to explain this phenomenon.  If you
have any suggestions, please e-mail me directly on rkota at scu.edu.au

Thanks in advance,

Raja