poly A mRNA in bacteria?

CSC un691cs at genius.embnet.dkfz-heidelberg.de
Thu Jun 10 10:57:08 EST 1999

On 10 Jun 1999, , David Alexander wrote:

> Hello All,

> I am curious to know if there are examples of bacteria that poly
> adenylate their mRNA.
> I've heard that mycobacteria do this - any others?

most bacteria don't, but bacterial polyA plos have been isolated, for
instance by Alfred Sippel and Walter Keller. Both can be bought. Promega ?
Just look in the catalogs of several larger companies.

> Without handy polyA tails, separation of mRNA, and generation of cDNA
> is difficult. Is there a method/enzyme that will reliably add polyA
> to bacterial RNA?

it is a difficult thing to do, one has to titrate the length of the tails
pretty percisely. Can't you try random priming instead ?

------------------ Clemens Suter-Crazzolara, PhD  --------------------
                 German Cancer Research Center DKFZ
                 Dept. Molecular Biophysics (H0200)
                 INF 280, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany