Corex Tubes???

Hiranya S. Roychowdhury hroychow at NMSU.EDU
Thu Jun 10 11:56:30 EST 1999

At 07:47 PM 6/9/99 -0700, Scott Currie wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I may be a bit behind the times but after breaking my Corex tubes, I
>discovered they are no longer being manufactured. Is this true? But more
>importantly, is there a substitute for these tubes on the market that will
>do the job for RNA precipitation.
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Scott
>Scott A. Currie
>University of Melbourne
>Department of Surgery
>Western Hospital
>Footscray, Vic. 3011
>Australia
>
>Tel: 61-3-9319
>Fax: 61-3-9317
>
>Email: s.currie at surgeryrmh.unimelb.edu.au

I don't know if the "Corex" tubes are discontinued... I had bought a set a
couple of years back.
However, while during my graduate work we never used anything but those for
RNA preps, I have been using the polypropylene Oakridge tubes (NOT the
polycarbonate type) for plant RNA extractions routinely. Precipitation of
RNA in these is no worse than that done in "Corex". If I expect smaller
amts. I simply reduce the volume in the final stages and change over to 1.5
or 3mL microfuge tubes. If the tubes are new, I can easily detect RNA
pellets. In the later stages of RNA preps, I try to avoid tubes that show
obvious signs of age (i.e. scratches and cracks).

Dr. Hiranya Sankar Roychowdhury
GENE LAB/ EPPWS
New Mexico State University
Las Cruces, NM 88003