poly A mRNA in bacteria?

Austin So (Hae Jin) haejin at netinfo.ubc.caX
Thu Jun 10 12:21:10 EST 1999

David Alexander" wrote:

> I am curious to know if there are examples of bacteria that poly
> adenylate their mRNA.
> I've heard that mycobacteria do this - any others?

Most bacteria do produce some level (maybe "almost none" is maybe more
appropriate) of polyA mRNA, though the length of the polyA tail (10-100?
I don't know why that number comes to mind) is very small compared to
eukaryotes (200-400). This has only recently been determined (like within
the last 2 years).

> Without handy polyA tails, separation of mRNA, and generation of cDNA
> is difficult. Is there a method/enzyme that will reliably add polyA
> to bacterial RNA?

Amara and Vijaya (1997) Specific polyadenylation and purification of
total messenger RNA from Escherichia coli. Nucl. Acids Res. 25(17),

Austin P. So (Hae Jin)

Biotechnology Laboratory
University of British Columbia

E-mail: haejin at netinfo.ubc.ca