poly A mRNA in bacteria?

Cornelius Krasel krasel at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de
Thu Jun 10 13:12:19 EST 1999

"", David Alexander <dalex at nexus.microimm.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> I am curious to know if there are examples of bacteria that poly
> adenylate their mRNA.
> I've heard that mycobacteria do this - any others?

I recall that PolyA tails have even been found in E.coli, however only
at the ends of very stable mRNAs.

> Without handy polyA tails, separation of mRNA, and generation of cDNA
> is difficult.

Why would you like to generate cDNA? Most bacteria do not have introns in
their genes, so the way to clone a gene is to start with the genomic DNA
instead of going through the mRNA -> cDNA steps.

(Disclaimer: it is about 6 years ago when I last worked in a microbio lab.)

--Cornelius.