poly A mRNA in bacteria?

Robert Butcher r.d.j.butcher at dundee.ac.uk
Thu Jun 10 16:41:48 EST 1999

> Why would you like to generate cDNA? Most bacteria do not have introns in
> their genes, so the way to clone a gene is to start with the genomic DNA
> instead of going through the mRNA -> cDNA steps.

Well im not the person who asked.....but:-
  I see your point and agree with it in the main BUT, however one
good reason is that you might want to clone what genes are actually
being expressed at any given condition / time/ strain etc (mRNA to
cDNA approach, with the usual assumptions), rather than what total
mass of genes could be expressed in theory  (i.e. genomic). For
example, the basis of a subtraction library etc.
 Just a thought, but im no microbiologist etc
 Rob
Robert Butcher,
Evolutionary and Ecological Entomology Unit,
Department of Biological Sciences,
Dundee University,
Dundee, DD1 4HN,
Tayside, Scotland,
UK.
Work Phone:- 01382-344291 (Office), 01382-344756 (Lab).
Fax:- 01382-344864
e-mail:- r.d.j.butcher at dundee.ac.uk
---