'Cracking'

Bernard P. Murray, PhD bpmurray*STUFFER* at socrates.ucsf.edu
Fri Jun 11 18:19:18 EST 1999

> At 6:20 PM 99.6.8, Dr. Robert Gay wrote:
> > We're looking for a protocol for the rapid screening of plasmid DNA
> > directly from transformed E.coli colonies (avoiding the overnight liquid
> > culture step).
> >
> > It's a protocol you may know as 'Cracking'.  We had such a protocol, once
> > upon a time, but have  lost it !

I've occasionally used the protocol in Sambrook et al. (page 1.32).

One of my co-workers says he once used a really nice protocol
which involved an agarose gel containing detergent and the
bacteria were loaded (whole) into this.  Alas, he has neither the
protocol nor the reference for this method.

   Bernard

--
Bernard P. Murray, PhD