dam- E.coli

Ashok Aiyar aiyar at ebv.oncology.wisc.edu
Mon Jun 14 17:34:47 EST 1999

On Mon, 14 Jun 1999 13:04:28 -0800,
    Timothy P. Beary (biol-tpb at nich-nsunet.nich.edu) wrote:
>I am in need of a dam- E.coli for cloning purposes.  I brought the isolates
>GM33 and GM48 from my post doc lab and have forgotten the genotype ID on
>these strains. I think one is dam- and one is dam- dcm-, but I don't
>remember which is which. Does anyone know about these E.coli isolates?

Most dam(-), and dcm(-) strains were constructed by Martin
Marinus and his group.  He can be contacted via email as:
"martin.marinus at ummed.edu"

Here are the genotypes of GM33 and GM48
Strain: GM33
Genotype: F- LAM- IN(rrnD-rrnE)1 dam-3 sup-85(Am)
Reference: Marinus MG Morris NR 1973 JBacteriol 114, 1143-1150

Strain: GM48
Genotype: F- LAM- dam-3 dcm-6 thr-1 leuB6 ara-14 tonA31 lacY1
          tsx-78 glnV44(Am)  galK2(Oc) galT22 thi-1
Reference: Marinus MG 1973 Molec Gen Genet 127, 47-55

>Also, does anyone know which company these come from?

You can obtain them from Dr. Marinus, the E. coli CGSC at Yale
(http://cgsc.biology.yale.edu), and the ATCC (http://www.atcc.org)

Regards,
Ashok
--