Cloning nomenclature

Frank O. Fackelmayer Frank.Fackelmayer at uni-konstanz.de
Thu Jun 17 02:19:13 EST 1999

Hi Bill,
There is no convention for naming clones. Everyone chooses a name (s)he likes. The
only thing that is usually accepted is a "p" as the first letter of a plasmid
name.
There are different types of nomenclature:
1. "p" followed by some cryptic letters that are either abbreviations of the
investigators name or institute (pUC) and a number. Clones are numbered
consecutively (pUC18, pUC19....). -> Your clone could be called pBN1, the next one
pBN2...
2. "p" followed by the gene name (e.g. pEGFP).
3. "p" followed by letters indicating some important properties of the vector,
like the promoter (e.g. pCMV)
4. "p" named as in 1-3, and following number 1,2,3 or A,B,C to indicate the
reading frame in expression vectors for fusion proteins (e.g. pRSET-A)
5. any combination of the above
6. others

When you transform/transfect bacterial or eukaryotic cells, they usually keep
their original name plus the name of the construct. There is also no convention on
how to do that. It could be "pUC18 in DH5a" or "HeLa-pCMV" or "BL21pLysS". It´s up
to you to choose a descriptive, unambigous name.

Hope this helps,
Frank