DNA quantification

Kevin Urbanic kurbanic at uoguelph.ca
Thu Jun 17 09:54:17 EST 1999

I would like to know if anybody has a method of determining [DNA] other
than using a UV-vis spectrophotometer.  Our departmental spec seems to
provided extremely inconsistent concentrations when I spec plasmid DNA
that is at a concentration less than 1ug/ml.  Specifcally, I was
wondering if anybody has calculated the concentration of each band in a
1kb DNA ladder?  I thought that could be a useful tool for "eyeing" the
DNA concentration.

	       "If you love something set it free
       		If it comes back to you it is yours
		If it doesn't then it was never meant to be"

Kevin Urbanic
Department of Microbiology
University of Guelph
Guelph, ON