Glycerol PAGE "toughening"

stebby at welch.jhu.edu stebby at welch.jhu.edu
Mon Jun 21 14:11:30 EST 1999

In article <3.0.32.19990616154806.007f9100 at imm2.imm.uth.tmc.edu>,
  dhavilan at IMM2.IMM.UTH.TMC.EDU ("David L. Haviland, Ph.D.") wrote:

> I can't help but ask if the inclusion of 5% glycerol also improved the
> drying, and less cracking of high percentage gels... i.e., greater than
> 12-15%?    I've had little problem with fixed and gradient percentage gels
> up to about 12.5% but above that, they start cracking.

Unfortunately, I never used gels higher than 10% in the lab when I was
comparing with/without glycerol.  Interesting question though.

A neat trick I've posted here before is to add 1 M sodium acetate to a
final concentration of 10% of your bottom buffer.  It extends the
effective range of your gel.  A 10% gel run like this will approximate a
15% gel give or take a percentage point or two.  I first saw this in
Biotechniques (1989) Christy et al. Vol. 7 #7, p. 692.

Regards,
Steve Dahl

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/