Bacterial conjugation

Andrup la at ami.dk
Tue Jun 22 02:53:46 EST 1999

Paul Beare wrote:

> Does anyone have a reference for conjugation methods. I'm currently having
> problems getting transconjugants using the E.coli strain S-17 (donor) and
> the Pseudomonas aeruginosa strain PAo1 under selection for both
> tetracycline and kanamycin.
>
> Paul Beare  B.S.c (Hons)

Please tell us more about the conjugation system you are using. Some
conjugative plasmids require solid surfaces for effecient conjugation.
The frequencies are dependent on the nature of recipient (RM-systems,
receptors etc.), the conjugationsystem(the plasmid) and various physical
(shaking, D:R-ratio, temp), biological (growth phase - most systems have
optimal effeciencies during exponential growth), and chemical (media,
lack of inhibitors) conditions.

Are you mobilizing a non-conjugative plasmid by a conjugative plasmid or
is it the transfer of the conjugative plasmid you are interested in?

Good luck

yours

Lars

*   Lars Andrup, phd  -  National Inst.Occup.Health   *
*               Copenhagen, Denmark                   *
* Tel: +45 3916-5223 |  e-mail: andrup at internet.dk    *
* Fax: +45 3916-5201 |  www.ami.dk/research/andrup    *