GCG to MSWORD

Bill_A_Nussbaumer at ms.bd.com Bill_A_Nussbaumer at ms.bd.com
Tue Jun 22 16:01:47 EST 1999

Bill A Nussbaumer at BDX
06/22/99 11:03 AM

Something I found helpful when dealing with long sequences in Excel.  Since my
sequence format is just a long string of numbers with no parsable character in
between each, I import the sequence in Word.  I then use the replace command to
replace all "A"s with "A,"  <---- note I changed all of the letter A's in the
sequence to an A with a comma after it.  I repeat for the other 3 bases.  (Of
course if your sequence is a protein this would be a little more time consuming
but still better than manually entering them).  Now every base has a comma in
between.

I save the Word file and open it in Excel.  The data gets pasted into a single
block so I use the Data ---> Text to columns menu command and tell Excel to
parse the data into individual columns at each comma.  This way the sequence is
now inserted; each base to its own column.

This thread just reminded me of that and I thought I'd share.  :-)

Bill

You can also open the sequence file in MS Excel. Create one coloumn for each
letter. Then you have all the formatting possibilities of Excel (shading, solid
fonts, frames etc.) and no problems, because each letter is in one cell.

Patricia