Methicillin revelation

Dr. Duncan Clark Duncan at nospam.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 24 03:16:19 EST 1999

In article <3771570F.A59371B6 at purdue.edu>, Phillip San Miguel
<pmiguel at purdue.edu> writes
>I never tried it.  It's more expensive than methicillin used to
>be.
>    I should have been using ampicillin in my plates for the recent
>experiment I was doing.  It would have worked fine.  I just didn't
>have a stock of it made up.  I had a lot of methicillin stocks left
>over from when I was doing conjugations.  I thought I could substitute
>it for ampicillin.  But I was wrong.

But where are you getting your methicillin from? It was withdrawn by
Sigma two years or so ago because of, I believe, world wide concerns
over MRSA etc. and was no longer being prescribed and therefore
manufacture was also stopped.

Do you get satellites with Oxacillin or Nafcillin and do you mix with
Ampicillin or use as is?

Duncan
sliced from time to time....

Duncan Clark