RNA gel elution possible?

Nick Theodorakis nicholas_theodorakis at urmc.rochester.edu
Thu Jun 24 19:13:35 EST 1999

In article <7kpjfv$rcq$2 at news.fsu.edu>,
  kaghoram at garnet.acns.fsu.edu (Karthik Aghoram) wrote:

> Can one elute RNA successfully from a denaturing (HCHO) type agarose
gel?
> Any leads?
>
> Thanks,
> Karthik

Well... I hesitate to recommend this procedure, due to the hazard, but
I've done it before using a methyl mercury gel and low melting point
agarose. The RNA after fractionation translated just beautifully in
retic. lysate (in fact, the most cpm after IVT that I have ever seen).

If you are feeling brave (or foolhardy) I can look up the reference and
the procedure in few days (I'm in the middle of a move right now, and
my notebooks are about 350 miles away). If you want to try to look it
up, I seem to remember that one of the authors is Walter Gilbert, and
it was in PNAS in the early 1980s.

| Nick Theodorakis                              |
| nicholas_theodorakis at urmc.rochester.edu       |
| (previously theodorn at gusun.georgetown.edu)    |

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/