Southern hybridization

me i.j.harvey at ncl.ac.uk
Mon Jun 28 06:08:23 EST 1999

"Hiranya S. Roychowdhury" <hroychow at NMSU.EDU> wrote in message
news:199906242234.QAA35360 at nestor.NMSU.Edu...
> I am having the same problem. The probe is absolutely homologous, but no
> signal from the genomic DNA. I suspect very low/single copy gene. I would
> like to get some input too from those that deal (or have dealt) with
single
> copy genes.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Hiranya.
>

> Dr. Hiranya Sankar Roychowdhury
> GENE LAB/ EPPWS
> New Mexico State University
> Las Cruces, NM 88003
> Ph. (505) 646-5785
> hroychow at nmsu.edu

I don't quite understand the question here.  The vast majority of genes are
single copy in southerns cos there's only one copy in the genome (OK 2 in
diploid species).  Low copy number only becomes a reason for low signal in
the case of Northerns where you are discussing expression.  To my mind it's
more likely to be dodgy reagents/ technique or just not loading enough
genomic DNA..

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick here??

Ian Harvey
University of Newcastle upon Tyne