Sonication....

Tue Jun 29 14:58:37 EST 1999

:Hi,
:
:Anyone know of an online "Sonication Primer" to get me up to speed?
:Specifically what I'm trying to learn is:
:
:1. What are typical power settings(in watts, not %) and some typical
:protocols for E. coli lysis.

You can only determine it empirically. Depends on your machine,
geometry, etc. Generally, lowest setting that does the job (to keep the
temperature rise and foaming to minimum).

:2. Effects of volume of cell concentration(i.e. is a semi-saturated 1 mL
:volume a good 'model' for 1 liter of saturated culture resuspended in 50
:mL)

Not good at all. The larger is the volume, the more energy is
required.

:3. Effective(and quick) ways to determine the extent of cell lysis.

If you have good microscope (100X objective), just look at them. Intact
E.coli is distinctive enough not to confuse it with broken cells.

        - Dima