a stupid question

Jarmo Schrader Jarmo.Schrader at removethis.genfys.slu.se
Wed Jun 30 01:33:01 EST 1999

In article <3778BEE8.26B7 at po.cwru.edu>, fxl4 at po.cwru.edu wrote:

> hi,guys,
>
> After a mammalian gene has a 2kb insertion within one of its exons,can
> it still be transcripted and translated?

Depends on the insert. If it does not contain any terminators
transcription will run through. And translation will work as long as there
are no in-frame stop codons. Otherwise you get a truncated protein.

This doesn't mean that the resulting protein would be functional of course

Jarmo

--
Jarmo Schrader     Umea, Sweden

Before replying to my e-mail delete 'removethis.' from the address!