Boosting protein expression in mammalian cells ?

Bernard P. Murray, PhD bpmurray*STUFFER* at socrates.ucsf.edu
Wed Jun 30 18:01:29 EST 1999

In article <7lbbdv$r2r$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>, Nick Theodorakis
<nicholas_theodorakis at urmc.rochester.edu> wrote:

> In article <3.0.32.19990629112558.008c1950 at imm2.imm.uth.tmc.edu>,
>   dhavilan at IMM2.IMM.UTH.TMC.EDU ("David L. Haviland, Ph.D.") wrote:
> > At 15:59 6/29/99 GMT, Nick Theodorakis wrote:

> > It is sodium butyrate.

> > However, if memory serves, I thought sodium butaryate only works with SV40
> > based promoters as described in the paper.
>
> I'm thinking of a paper by F. Cabral (senior author), two or three years
> ago, in J. Cell. Biol (I think, or maybe MCB). They were overexpressing
> alpha-tubulin in transfected CHO cells and boosting the expression with
> sodium butyrate. I _think_ they were using the CMV promoter, but I would
> have to look it up, and a lot of my stuff is still in boxes because I
> just moved.

There's a lot of cross-talk between SV40 and CMV promoters (I am not
sure of the actual mechanism) so much so that one will suppress the
other if you try and use vectors with each of them on it.  I wouldn't
surprise me if butyrate works on both.  The RSV promoter acts
independently of both CMV and SV40 so butyrate may not work there.

   Bernard

--
Bernard P. Murray, PhD