IUBio

Sodium azide

Martin Offterdinger a8803349.nospam at unet.univie.ac.at
Mon Mar 1 06:01:32 EST 1999

On Sun, 28 Feb 1999 13:47:15 -0500, pxpst2 at unixs.cis.pitt.edu (Peter)
wrote:

>In article <7b9ba6$n6g$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>, blueelk at my-dejanews.com wrote:
>
>> Could someone tell me what is the minimum concentration of sodium azide to
>> prevent bacterial growth?
>
>Most peaple use .02% N3 to prevent bacterial growth in column resins and
>water baths.  The only thing you need to remember is that azide should
>never be used in the presence of brass or copper.  When it dries on such a
>surface, it is quite explosive.
>
>Peter
>
>--
>Peter
>

>" Don't you eat that yellow snow
>     Watch out where the huskies go"
>                                    FZ
 In addition I would  never use it  inside tissue  culture incubators,
because it slowly decomposes to N2 and also  HN3 a very toxic gas
(comparably to HCN!!!) which would eventually kill  sensitive cell
lines.
For the  same reason you should consider that it has a limited
half-life in solution and its bactertiostatic activity is therefore
also limited.
The third point is that for this reason (limited half life) many
people use higher concentrations than necessary to have still N3 left
after a couple of weeks.
martin
Martin Offterdinger
Internal Med.I,Dept. Oncology