IUBio

Yeast Strains DBY747, DBY745, 6657-4D, or DY150

Bernard P. Murray, PhD bpmurray*STUFFER* at socrates.ucsf.edu
Mon Mar 1 15:35:41 EST 1999

In article <36DA921E.14F4 at uchsc.edu>, Carla.Guthridge at uchsc.edu wrote:

> Hello,
>      I am trying to locate one of the following strains of yeast:
>         DBY747, DBY745, 6657-4D, or DY150.  I have recently obtained a
> discontinued copper-inducible yeast expression vector from Clontech.
> Unfortunately, they no longer stock any of the yeast strains used for
> expression.  I would be happy to pay fed-ex charges etc.  If anyone is
> willing to donate a strain, please contact me at
> Carla.Guthridge at uchsc.edu.
>
> Thanks!

Carla,

I have the pYEX-BX vector from Clontech (which is identical
to the equivalent vector developed in the Macreadie lab in
Australia and sold by AMRAD).  As far as I know Clontech only
supplied DY150 because this was the strain that the Macreadie
lab used in their papers and AMRAD included this in their
kit (which Clontech basically just rebadges).  There's no
reason you have to use this particular strain.  At the
moment I am using it with some YPH499/YPH500 derivatives
and it works just fine.  I don't think copper sensitivity
or uptake is a major strain consideration and most strains
will support the extra selection pressure imposed by the
leu2-d marker.  Just pick your favourite leu- ura- strain
and transform away.
     I have not used the pYEX-4T-n series of vectors but
I assume they will behave the same as pYEX-BX.
     If you really feel you need bona fide DY150 it
is available from ATCC (and probably from AMRAD).
     I hope that this helps,
          Bernard
--
Bernard P. Murray, PhD