IUBio

PCR

David Hakes dhakes at neose.com
Tue Mar 2 15:08:29 EST 1999

Hello:

I have done many of these types of PCR and have extensively tested various Tms
for various lengths of matched/unmatched/extended regions.
I can tell you that the polymerase treats the primers as though the unmatched
extended portion is nonexistent!!! I once had a primer with a match of 18 bases
and an extension of ~50 bases and the PCR reaction worked at the temperature
predicted for the 18 bases.

Good luck.