coprecipitant for RNA

Ralf Sigmund ralf.sigmund at mpihan.mpg.de
Wed Mar 3 06:55:28 EST 1999

Georg Kroeger schrieb in Nachricht
<36dce5ad.1321790 at news.zfn.uni-bremen.de>...
>Hi all!
>
>We have problems to precipitate small amounts of RNA (invisible
>pellets got lost sometimes). Any hint for a nice coprecipitant would
>be appreciated. By the way, at which point will I get rid of the
>precipitant (70% EtOH whash?) again?

You might consider Pellet Paint (Novagen) also.
It is a synhetic fluorescent dye, works very well for RNA precipitations (we
use it for RPAs, RTs etc.)
As Pellet Paint is a synthetic reagent you are less likely to run into
contamination problems.
Fluorescent Sequencing (ABI) does not work with the (fluorescent) Pellet
Paint.
There is no way to get rid of it !
The only way to get rid of glycogen might be to digest it, but who would
risk this (enzymes tend to be contaminated with Nucleases).
Ralf